- Conspiracy to defraud US banks and launder funds controlled by Jho Taek Low.
- International conspiracy to defraud US financial institutions and launder funds.
- Billions of dollars were embezzled from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
- Action sought forfeit and recovery of $73mn traceable to 1MDB fraud in the US.
- Hundreds of millions were used to pay bribes to foreign officials, including US.
- Follows DoJ Nov. 1, charges for Jho Low, and ex-Goldman officers.
US Laundering, Influence
- Complaint alleges bank accounts were opened at US banks by Prakazrel Michel.
- As well as former DoJ employee George Higginbotham with aim to receive tens
of millions of dollars in funds from the overseas accounts controlled by Jho Low.
- In opening accounts, made false, misleading statements, to US. financial firms.
- Michel and Higginbotham tried to influence DoJ investigation of Low and 1MDB.
- Higginbotham, as a DoJ employee, played no role in any aspect of investigation.
- Failed to influence any aspect of the Department investigation of Low or 1MDB.
- Higginbotham pleaded guilty, for his role in a conspiracy, to deceive the banks.
- Employed at DoJ as a senior congressional affairs specialist from 2016 to 2018.