On Oct. 11, Companies House released suspicious activity form.
- New form to report unauthorized director appointments, addresses, other activities.
- Company name has been changed without permission, your address has been used without your permission (as company’s registered office or officer’s service address).
- People involved in company are in dispute (such as directors, shareholders or PSCs).
- A link to the form was added to the Companies House advice on fraud protection.
Known Fraud, Scams
- Details of known fraud, scams including calls claiming to be from companies house
regarding late filing penalty, requests for authentication code and directors' details.
- Emails claiming to be from companies house investigations, enforcement services.
- Scam document order emails, online filing submission emails, eReminder requests.
- Also aware of bogus requests by email asking to verify companies house password.
- Letters asking for payment from prosecuting solicitors or for company registration.
- Also suspicious job vacancies, pension scams, company register payment requests.
- Contact details are provided for reporting any suspicious letters, emails, phone calls.
Advice to Protect from Fraud
- Register for online filing with companies house, keep your authentication code safe.
- Sign up to PROOF scheme to protect from unauthorized change to company records.
- Use follow service which is part of free Companies House Service (CHS) for emailed alerts of company transactions, allows for tracking of changes in company activities.
- Choose correct correspondence address to appear on public record, does not need
to be home address, third party service providers, agents provide registered office.
- Check website addresses (URL) in suspicious emails are genuine and is not a scam.
- Be aware of scam emails, calls and report any incidents of fraud and cyber crime.
- Action Fraud is the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre for the police.
- Insolvency service can investigate limited companies for serious corporate abuse.
- Companies house can remove companies from the register, prosecute directors.