On Nov. 20, 2018, EP approved draft rules to increase whistleblower protection.
- Guarantee that whistle-blowers in the EU can report breaches of EU law in area
of tax evasion, corruption, environmental protection or public health and safety.
- Without fear of retaliation and intimidation, legal affairs MEPs agreed protection
measures must also apply to those assisting the reporting person eg journalists.
- MSs are to ensure that private and public sector put in place adequate channels.
- Should ensure that reporting person is notified of receipt received within a week.
- While follow-up on report must be received no later than 2 months after receipt.
- Should be up to reporting person to choose most appropriate channel to report.
- Agreed text explicitly prohibits reprisals and member states would have to take
necessary safeguard against retaliation, MS provide free information and advice.