- Identified individuals and entities for their roles in circumventing US sanctions.
- Designation is pursuant to section 224(a)(1)(B) of CAATSA, Public Law 115-44.
- Sanctions based on acts undertaken for Divetechnoservices, a Russian entity.
- As well as for Russian government agencies e.g Federal Security Service (FSB).
- FSB was sanctioned Dec. 28, 2016, and Mar. 16, 2018, pursuant to EO 13694.
- Persons and entities procured various underwater equipment, diving systems.
North Korea-related Sanctions
- OFAC also took action against two entities, six vessels involved in ship-to-ship
transfer or refined petroleum products involving North Korea-flagged vessels.
- The CHONG RIM 2 designated in Mar. 2016; CHON MA SAN blocked Feb. 2018.
- Such activities are expressly prohibited under UN Security Council and US law.
- These new sanctions targeted Russia-based shipping companies Primorye and
Gudzon, plus owners and managers of Russia-flagged merchant vessel PATRIOT.
- For having conducted ship-to-ship transfers of oil for the benefit of North Korea.
- The ultimate buyer was UN- and U.S.-designated Taesong Bank, North Korean
which is entity engaging in illicit economic activities for North Korean leadership.