- Reported on how large financial institutions manage conflicts of interest in advice.
- Reviewed advice provided by five biggest vertically integrated financial institutions.
- Identified areas where improvement needed in management of conflicts of interest.
- In most cases, weightings in products recommended towards those made in-house.
- Conflict is inherent, need to properly manage advisory arms, ensure quality advice.
- ASIC to consult on proposal for transparent public reporting for advice of licensees.
- Examined sample of files to test if advice satisfied the 'best interests' requirements.
- 75% reviewed did not show compliance with duty to act in best interest of of client.
- 10% of advice, was likely to leave customer in significantly worse financial position.
- Improve advisor monitoring, recruiting, ban advisor with serious compliance failing.
- Findings should be examined by all vertically integrated firms in the financial sector.